Training Students, Protecting Miners and Informing the Community
The Henry G. “Hank” Grundstedt San Xavier Underground Mining Laboratory is the only mining lab with a working vertical shaft in the United States. The laboratory for research and training has been operated by the UA Department of Mining and Geological Engineering since 1958 and owned by the university since 1975.
Located on a 90-acre facility, the four-level mine is 250 feet at its deepest and home to one of the most sophisticated research hoists in the country. The department renamed the mine for MGE alumnus and benefactor Hank Grundstedt in 2005 and has transformed the facility into a modern resource for students, industry representatives and community members.