J. Brent Hiskey
Professor Emeritus of Mining and Geological Engineering
J. Brent Hiskey is Professor of Mining and Geological Engineering and Cimetta Chair in the College of Engineering at the University of Arizona. From 1999-2009 he served as Associate Dean for Research and Administration in the College of Engineering. Prior to joining the University of Arizona in 1984, he was manager of metallurgical research at Kennecott's Process Technology Center. Dr. Hiskey received a BS in metallurgical engineering (1967), MS (1971), and PhD (1973) from the University of Utah. He has held research positions with US Steel and Alcoa and was an assistant professor in metallurgical engineering at the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology. His primary research interests are in the area of hydrometallurgy with special emphasis on leaching, cementation, ion exchange and solvent extraction, and the investigation of electrochemical processes involved in hydrometallurgical reactions. Current research activities include: recovery of critical and strategic metals from copper leach solution, gold and silver leaching and recovery, the extractive metallurgy of complex copper ores, copper electrorefining and electrowinning, treatment of aqueous effluents, and novel approaches to metal recovery from aqueous solution. Professor Hiskey has edited or coedited a number of books: Gold and Silver Leaching, Recovery and Economics; Au and Ag - Heap and Dump Leaching Practice; and Interfacing Technologies in Solution Mining. In 1993, he edited the SME/TMS book Hydrometallurgy: Fundamentals, Technology and Innovation. Prof. Hiskey received the SME Arthur F. Taggart award in 1974, and was the 1993 recipient of the AIME James Douglas Gold Medal which recognized his achievements in chemical metallurgy. In 1994, he was elected a Distinguished Member of the Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration (SME). He received the SME Milton E. Wadsworth Extractive Metallurgy Award in 2003 and was recognized as the Henry Krumb Lecturer of the American Institute of Mining and Metallurgical Engineers for 2005 -2006. He was awarded the The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society EPD Distinguished Lecture Award in 2010. Professor Hiskey was elected to the National Academy of Engineering, Class of 1997.
- Ph.D. Metallurgical Engineering
- University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
- “Galvanic Interaction Between CuFeS2 and Cu” (committee members: Milton E. Wadsworth, Robert W. Parry, Ferron A. Olson, and Jan D. Miller)
- Professor and Cimetta Endowed Chair, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona (2010 - Ongoing)
- Associate Dean, University of Arizona, College of Engineering (1999 - 2010)
- Visiting Scholar, A.J. Parker Cooperative Research Center for Hydrometallurgy, Murdoch University, Western Australia (1994 - 1995)
- Director, Copper Research Center, College of Engineering and Mines (1987 - 1996)
- Associate Director, Arizona Bureau of Mineral Technology (1985 - Ongoing)
- Director, Arizona Mining and Mineral Resources Research Institute (1985 - 1996)
Elements of Solution Mining
MNE 450 (Spring 2019)
MNE 450 (Spring 2018)
MNE 550 (Spring 2018)
MNE 550 (Spring 2017)
- Hiskey, J. B., & Novak, M. (2014). Silver and Silver Sulfide Leaching in Thiosulfate-Ferric-Thiourea Solutions. 2014 SME Annual Meeting Preprints.
- Hiskey, J. B., & Snowberger, J. (2014). Ion Exchange Recovery of Rhenium from Copper Leach Solutions using Weakly Basic Anion Exchange Resins. 2014 SME Annual Meeting Preprints.
- Hiskey, J. B. (2012). Mechanism and thermodynamics of floating slimes formation. TMS Annual Meeting, 101-112.
- Nebeker, N., & Hiskey, J. B. (2012). Recovery of rhenium from copper leach solution by ion exchange. Hydrometallurgy, 125-126, 64-68.
- Bhide, R., Jinshan, L. i., Free, M. L., Miller, J. D., & Hiskey, B. J. (2008). Evaluation of ferric ion reductants in sulfate based copper electrowinning electrolyte. Hydrometallurgy 2008: Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium, 618-624.
- Lee, J., & Hiskey, J. B. (2008). Electrochemical study of gold cementation in thiosulfate solutions with an electrochemical quartz crystal nanobalance. Hydrometallurgy 2008: Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium, 811-816.
- Moats, M. S., & Hiskey, J. B. (2006). The effect of anode composition on passivation of commercial copper electrorefining anodes. 2006 TMS Fall Extraction and Processing Division: Sohn International Symposium, 6, 507-518.
- Young, S. E., Hiskey, J. B., & Ruiz, J. (2006). Copper isotope variability in acid ferric sulfate dissolution of natural djurleite (Cu1.94S). IMPC 2006 - Proceedings of 23rd International Mineral Processing Congress, 1346-1353.
- Hiskey, J. B. (2005). Metal deposition and the electrocrystallization process. Proceedings of the Jan D. Miller Symposium - Innovations in Natural Resource Processing, 2005, 21-32.
- Hiskey, J. B., & Lee, J. (2003). Kinetics of gold cementation on copper in ammoniacal thiosulfate solutions. Hydrometallurgy, 69(1-3), 45-56.
- Hiskey, J. B., & Maeda, Y. (2003). A study of copper deposition in the presence of Group-15 elements by cyclic voltammetry and Auger-electron spectroscopy. Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, 33(5), 393-401.
- Lee, J., & Hiskey, J. B. (2003). Alloy formation during the cementation of gold on copper from ammoniacal thiosulfate solutions. Proceedings of the TMS Fall Extraction and Processing Conference, 2, 1167-1177.
- Morfín, O., Conklin, M. H., Corley, T. L., Hiskey, J. B., & Ruíz, J. (2003). The use of Pb isotopes, total metals analysis and total metals ratios to characterize Pb transport and fate in an interrupted stream, Aravaipa Creek, SE Arizona. Proceedings of the TMS Fall Extraction and Processing Conference, 2, 2013-2025.
- Moats, M. S., & Hiskey, J. B. (2000). Role of electrolyte additives on passivation behaviour during copper electrorefining. Canadian Metallurgical Quarterly, 39(3), 297-306.
- Moats, M. S., Hiskey, J. B., & Collins, D. W. (2000). Effect of copper, acid, and temperature on the diffusion coefficient of cupric ions in simulated electrorefining electrolytes. Hydrometallurgy, 56(3), 255-268.
- Hiskey, J. B., & Novak, M. (2014, 2014-06-22 to 2014-06-25). Kinetics of the Galvanic Reduction of Chalcopyrite Concentrates by Copper. In Hydrometallurgy 2014, Hydrometallurgy 2014 Proceeding of the 7th International Symposium, 363-374.
- Hiskey, J. B., & Snowberger, J. (2014, 2014-02-16 to 2014-02-20). Electrochemical Dissolution of Rhenium Bearing Supper Alloy. In 2-14 TMS Annual Meeting Rare Metal Extraction & Processing Symposium.
- Hiskey, J. B. (2014, 2014-06-22 to 2014-06-25). Hydrometallurgy - Background and Historical Perspective. Hydrometallurgy 2014 - Short Course : Recent Key Developments and Current Industrial Trends. Victoria, British Columbia, Canada: Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum.
- Hiskey, J. B. (2014, Feb 26). Innovative Strategies for Copper Hydrometallurgy. 2014 SME Annual Meeting. Salt Lake City, Utah: Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration SME.
- Hiskey, J. B. (2012, March). Mechanism and Thermodynamics of Floating Slimes Formation. T.T. Chen Honorar4y Symposium on Hydrometallurgy, TMS Annual Meeting. Orlando, FL.
- Hiskey, J. B. (2012, November). The Recovery of Energy-Critical Metals from Copper Leach Solution. 2012 MRS Fall Meeting and Exhibit. Boston, MA.
- SME MPD Luncheon Speaker
- Society of Mining, MIetallurgy, and Exploration, Inc. Division of Mineral and Metallurgical Processing., Spring 2014